About the school in brief

The past

The predecessor of our school, the Hungarian Royal State Secondary School for the teaching of modern languages and sciences, moved to Miskolc in 1917. The institution was an eight-year school preparing for further studies having as its main aim to help acquire scientific knowledge and modern languages of importance. In 1922 the school was given the name of János Hunfalvy, founder of modern Hungarian geography, a geographer of European fame. In the year 1934 the institution became a grammar school.

During World War II, from 1939 to 1945, Hunfalvy János Grammar School operated in Kassa (a town in Slovakia now) and after 1945 teaching was resumed in Miskolc, more exactly in Diósgyôr. In 1949 the foundation stone of a new Grammar School was laid and in the school year of 1950/51 teaching began in the actual building. Shortly afterwards the school was given a new name, Kilián György Grammar School. In 1937, on the 80th anniversary of its having been moved to Miskolc, the school was given the name Grammar School in Diósgyôr to emphasize its links to the area of the town called Suburb Diósgyôr.

The school building completed in 1950 was fairly modern according to standard of the time. No significant alteration or enlargement has been done to it ever since, therefore it is no wonder it seems small, due to the increased number of students and split-class teaching. The surroundings, however, are invariably favourable because it is situated right at the foot of the Bükk Hills with Diósgyôr Castle close by, providing historical atmosphere. Because of its large school yard full of trees and shrubs surrounded by family houses in Diósgyôr and blocks of flats in the living estate in Suburb Kilián, it is one of the nicest schools in Miskolc.

In the 1960s students were selected to form classes specializing in different subjects. Later these classes were partly modified because of changing social requirements which resulted in the inclusion of special classes with individual curriculum. Introduction to our school of classes with optional choice of subjects, meant a progressive step forward, and our students are even today willing to choose this opportunity.

Change in the political system brought about new initiatives mainly in the domain of language learning. The Russian language which had been compulsory before, lost much of its importance, and attention turned towards languages spoken in western countries. For the past 10 years the number of Grammar School classes in our town has increased, almost doubled. With a decreasing number of children and as a consequence of families moving away from our county, secondary schools are challenged to compete. Our Grammar School also endeavours to create an image of its own so that its educational structure can remain attractive among those living in the area.

 
The Present

Our educational structure is based in the first place on school traditions, but it also needs to conform to recent social demands and parental requirements. We are doing our utmost to find new ways to set up a modern school structure which is in harmony with the development plans of our town, Miskolc. Our aim is to provide students living in this part of the town with all the types of education students in the town center grammar schools can enjoy. Our students obtain a level of preparation which stands comparison in our town for further studies at various universities and colleges. At the same time we have special fields of training, for example we are the only grammar school with classes specialised in physical education and in the half of Hungary east of the Danube the Japanese language is only available to study in our grammar school.

go to top